Visa and residence permit regulations

Whether you need a visa to enter Germany depends on your citizenship as well as the planned length of stay.

You are here:

Visa and residence permit regulations

If you want to research in any form at the Charité – Universitätsmedizin, you should obtain information about visa regulations as early as possible and apply for a visa at the German embassy or a German consulate in your country of residence.

You want to get informed on the latest novelties of visa and residence permit regulations? You can contact us or check the webpage of the immigration office in Berlin: During the corona pandemic: please note 

Our visa service

We are offering a visa service BEFORE and AFTER your arrival in Berlin.

  • BEFORE arrival: We consult you and your guest institute on visa entry regulations. In cases of problems please contact us as soon as possible.
  • AFTER arrival: We convert your entry visa into long-term residence permit or extend your residence permit using the company service of the foreigner´s office in Berlin.
    Furthermore, we offer advice on BlueCard or permanent residence permit applications.